Friday, April 06, 2007

It's "Good" Friday

I hope you're enjoying the Easter Break. With it being Easter 'Good Friday' it seemed somehow appropriate to review The Good Shepherd, Robert de Niro's epic take on the formation of the CIA, released on HD-DVD format just this week.


Like the film the review's probably too long, and doesn't really meet the 'Friday Film' target I'd set myself, although since it was only released in the UK last month there's a chance it should, in theory, still be showing at some cinema's across the land.


I'm away the next couple of days, but will be posting a couple of reviews tomorrow morning to cover Saturday and Sunday anyway.


Director Guillermo del Toro has had huge success with Pan's Labyrinth released just a week or two ago on double-DVD and reviewed by me here. Del Toro's previous two Spanish-language films Cronos and The Devil's Backbone have been released, together with a single-disk version of Pan's Labyrinth, in a special three-disc boxed set, so I'll be reviewing the other two titles. One of the titles disappointed because of the appalling quality of the transfer, the other is up there with Pan's Labyrinth as one of my favourite films of the last twelve months. To find out more check back tomorrow!

No comments: